Monday, September 22, 2008

Home

Home is where...you fill in the blank. I've heard the saying many different ways--your toothbrush, your pillow, your heart, your shoes. I cannot honestly say how I fill in that sentence. I can't quite say home is where my heart is, because my heart is split between Ethiopia, Atlanta, and Washington. We just returned back to Omo after I spent two weeks in the states for my sister's wedding, and one week in Addis doing shopping for supplies and things before heading south. It was an incredible high to step off the airplane in Addis Ababa and know I was finally back on the same continent and time zone as Caleb and the kids.
As wonderful as it was to be back 'home' in the US, I felt the separation from my family sitting on my chest the whole time.
It is strange though, to have come off the last few months of feeling quite 'home'-sick, and then to go back to the US and miss my other 'home' so desperately, my home that consists of Caleb, Elsa, Ezra, and the life we're building together by the Omo. I think it was good for me, to go back and realize that no matter where I am, I will feel the pull of a different place. That is simply the reality of the kind of life we've chosen. Hard at times, but amazing as well, to be able to call opposite sides of the world 'home' at the same time. To always be leaving home, but to always be going home as well.
So I am home...with my husband, my kids, this world over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment