Friday, October 8, 2010

I'm not a crafty person

Yet, both of my kids are. In their own ways.

 Elsa eats up anything that has to do with paper, glue, scissors and crayons.
 The girl is seriously creative. Thankfully, she doesn't seem to hold it
 against me (not yet, at least) that I don't share her aptitude for taking an
 old sock and turning it into an elephant. But today I decided I should throw
 her a bone and dig out The Collosal Craft Kit. That's its name. Which seemed
 entirely promising to me, surely I could pull together some beautiful and
 interesting craft project from The Collosal Craft Kit. (On a side note, I
 did not purchase The Collosal Craft Kit. My non-crafty eyes would have slid
 right over that particular object in Target. My mother did, and I wouldn't
 be at all surprised if one of her 5 love languages is actually crafts.) It's
 all there...pipe cleaners, stickers, foam sheets, scissors, a tiny tube of
 glue (don't they know that preschoolers love glue?), balls of fluff, googly
eyes, sequins. I pulled all of the items out and was sitting in my own
 little personal craft hell. But I straightened my shoulders, certainly a
 little butterfly wouldn't get the best of me, right?















Oh, no. The little eyes don't stick, the balls of fluff meant to be its body
 only want to stick to MY body, because I'm half covered in glue, and there
are sequins stuck all over my table and pink fluff adhered to my fingertips
and the antenna won't stick on its darn head (which looks like it went
 through some ill-advised genetic mutation). I thought I was nearly
 done...Elsa was happy with her butterfly and was contemplating a whole
 butterfly family (Lord, help), when Ezra comes inside and sees all the
 hullabaloo and decides he, too, wants to make a craft. So we whip out a
 little dragonfly meant to be a magnet, but really it looks more like
 what's-that-little-green-guy's-name?--GUMBY. And the magnet curls up and
 Ezra doesn't care a bit because he actually doesn't care a wit about crafts.
Thankfully.

 I'm saved because it starts raining. (Raining!) Big drops, each spaced about
 1 foot and a half apart, but enough for Elsa and Ezra to grab their umbrella
 and go gallavanting off into the rain. They like the rain. So I get to sit
 at the table and pick glue off of my fingers (the best part of the whole
 project) and contemplate never ever doing another craft in my entire life.
 I'll ask Grandma to do craft time when it comes time to homeschool.

 Elsa comes home to begin work on her butterfly family...the auntie and the
daddy and the baby to go with the already-finished mama...and I realize Ezra
is quiet and I don't know where he is. Daisy and I set out toward Grandma's
 house when I discover my other crafty child. HIS idea of crafty is holing up
 under the umbrella with toes sticking out, chugging syrup straight from the
 bottle that he swiped from Grandma's pantry.

What on earth, child?

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from Michigan! I hope that you are doing well in Ethiopia. We want to let you know that you continue to be in our thoughts and prayers. I have loved reading your blog! You are a talented writer. I laughed quite a bit and added some requests to my prayer journal. Hoping Ezra continues to feel well and that fevers stay away! Our son Josiah struggled with prolonged fevers when he was 4-6 months old, and I remember how scary that can be.

    We are doing well here. God continues to work all around us and we have so much to be thankful for. Our son Josiah is 2 1/2 years old and our daughter Hannah is almost 8 months. Josiah is passionate about life, cars, trucks, trains and singing to Jesus. It seems as though he and Ezra would be great friends!
    Glad we're not the only ones with a strong minded child - we like to call him an effective communicator! Hannah continues to be our content, joy-filled child. She has a contagious smile that she flashes to everyone she meets. Thankfully they love each other... usually. :)

    We pray that you have a wonderful week! We thank God for all your are doing for His Kingdom!

    With love and prayers,

    Heather, Josh, Josiah & Hannah Van Leeuwen
    North Holland Reformed Church

    ReplyDelete