Friday, October 1, 2010

It is a Sixth Sense

A few nights ago Elsa was sent to bed early for some infraction that I no longer remember the details of. I'd given her a choice of consequences--either she could 'pay' me with her dessert at dinnertime, or she could choose an early bed time. Smart girl that she is, she decided on the early bedtime. Although once bedtime rolled around and the consequence came to call, she conveniently forgot that she had been given a choice and became very upset at the injustice of going to bed without a bedtime story while Ezra was allowed to stay up and hear a story. When Caleb went upstairs to give her an extra hug and tell her goodnight, he asked her why she was so upset. Elsa's response made me realize I am fully a mother in every sense of the word:

 "Because everytime I do something bad, Mama always finds me!

Good girl. Now if only she'd remember that BEFORE the next time she decides to shove her brother in the dirt and sit on his head.

1 comment:

  1. It IS a sixth sense. And that look they give when you catch them but you don't QUITE know what they are doing wrong yet. Dead give away. When you say, "Sam...what are you doing?" and he SMILES while he says, "Nothing"...he's as good as spanked. I love you Joanna. Love reading your blog. Love hearing about my sweet, smart, resourceful little nieces and nephew.
    Beck

    ReplyDelete