Sunday, January 20, 2008

Don't Eat That Spider (and other ways my life has changed)

The thing about having said that to Elsa earlier today is not exactly
what I said (hey, you may say that you one of your kids one day), it's more
the tone in which it was said. No need for panic anymore at the possibility
of a spider being ingested...comments such as that are becoming
common-place. Elsa, don't pick those leaves, they'll make you sick. Elsa, don't drink
water out of the faucet, it's dirty. Ezra, did you pee on the floor? No matter, it'll dry.
Before we left the US, I made the major purchase and mental switch from
disposable to cloth diapers. What I failed to realize, though, was how
little my children's little buns would need to be covered. Elsa and
Ezra spend the majority of their day running freely un-diapered, because
when it comes down to it, wiping up the floor of a little poo is much easier
than handwashing a messy cloth diaper. So it seems as though the $300 I
spent on diapers could have been better spent on, hmmm, I don't know
what...Crystal Light drink mixes? Now that would have been money well spent!
We will go back up to Addis Ababa on Tuesday morning. Hopefully I will
get to post some pictures. The pictures will do more than I could ever
write about what things have been like. There's nothing like a picture of
Ezra sitting in the kitchen sink, where he spends the majority of his day
(he's not tolerating the heat as well as the rest of us, the kitchen sink is
where he is happiest) to show how far we've come from the snowy, cold days of
Holland, Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment